The quilt remains unfinished. I've made a lot of progress (it is all machine quilted except for 1 1/2 seams and the border), despite a week with three days of sick kids and four nights of church meetings and an activity. After that, I'll just have to bind it. And it really shouldn't take that long. I just didn't have the heart to bring it out after wrestling Jacob today. (That's sounds biblical, but no one broke a leg.)
See, Dan had to attend a ward conference and left at 6 am this morning. I managed to get all three boys and myself fed and dressed and in the chapel by 9 am. (Did I mention it snowed and Dan's car had the only ice scraper? By the time I settled for a spatula, the defroster had melted most of it.) We only had a few dashes by Nate, but made it through the entire meeting. The boys were well on their way to earning their rewards (pennies in their jars). I didn't have sharing time, all classes had teachers (except for an assistant in nursery, but I found one quickly), and we were getting ready for the last 20 minutes of church.
Jake got out of his seat and tried to get his coloring paper from sharing time. I told him to sit back down and sing; we'd get it when we got home. He threw a fit. No way was I giving in now. So what ensued was a power struggle of epic proportions. I'd taken him into the hallway with several stern lectures and warnings. He became psychotic, screaming "I hate you," flailing his arms around, giving snarls. I put him in the chair for a time out. He took off his shoe and threw it at me. I hauled him outside, fully intending to give him a serious spanking, but I saw the entire foyer packed with members from the other ward. I really didn't want them to hear me beating him, because I realize some opinionated people have strong feelings about corporal punishment. Dang. So he's lectured and in time out in the nearby classroom. He throws his shoes at the walls.
Finally, church ends and Jake wants to go see the bishop to get candy (which is a practice I hate anyway). He's firmly told he cannot get candy because he behaved so badly. He waits until I am packing up my stuff, then sneaks off. Now I'm really mad. A young couple helped me round up the other two boys, while I dragged a kicking and screaming "I WANT CANDY!!!!!!" at the top of his lungs Jacob to the car. Did I mention the other ward was in sacrament meeting? He screamed the entire way home, and for the next 45 minutes in his room until Dan got home. Then he screamed some more and was pretty much awful all day.
As a result, I realize it doesn't matter if I finish the quilt before tomorrow. I'm going to get another boy, with glaucoma, because I obviously haven't figured out how to do this yet. So, I'll have until August to finish it for him.
I Do Now
1 week ago

6 comments:
Oh Laurie... I have had these moments. I feel your pain. Sam was extremely bad all throughout Sac. mtg. and had to be taken out (seriously... he's 3.5... WAY too old for that), but by the time primary started he was okay. But the rest of the Sunbeams (3 kids) were all having the worst day ever. And only ONE teacher (well, a couple that teaches CTR 6) showed up for all of Jr. Primary. Sheesh! I'm just the chorister, but still... I was annoyed. Sorry for rambling about my non-news when I just wanted to say "sorry." And I may just change my prediction to "GIRL" because you deserve it! ;)
I say next week you send the boys with Dan, and go an sit in the back by yourself and ignor your family. You need it. Call me when you are out of your appt.
Oh, yes. we've all had those moments. And I've loved reading your blog - - so fun and entertaining! It's great to see what you and your family is up to! Heather Humphreys.
I HAD A SHOE THROWN AT ME, LAST WEEK, TOO. Because I wouldn't let Jane wear her jeans under her sweatpants. (I know, I deserved it).
Good follow-through.
Everyone just thinks it's funny when someone else's kid is acting like that!
I know you just think I am saying this to make you feel better but...I have had such similar experinces that I felt like I could have written this post.
Yay, for you...I mean that...you have a husband that has to be gone for Stake buisness making you a single mom on Sunday and you are the Primary President, Mother of 3 and pregnant!!!!!!! Seriously, you are doing a great job as evidenced by the fact that you haven't run screaming into the night or gone inactive.
Okay, I was joking about you going inactive or running away but, seriously...that is a lot of church responsibility for a family. Good job. Seriously.
I suggest "Wall Squats"...they work great at making life in Sacrament meeting look better. Back against the wall, knees bent at 90 degrees, so the little guy is in the sitting position, without a chair. Eventually the leg muscles get sore, and start to shake...then sitting in Sacrament meeting being quiet doesn't seem like such a bad alternative.
Post a Comment