Monday, September 8, 2008

Gratitude

After that last whiner's post, I need to balance the chi with a reflection of my recent blessings.

1. This baby. He may be big, but he is perfect.

2. This guy. Love him more than anything.

3. These guys. The only shot I've got with all four. Yep, it's going to be fun rounding them all up.


4. An on-call OB who resembled this guy. He was a soft-spoken, gentle giant who was patient enough to let me labor without rushing into an unnecessary C-section. And he was calm enough during delivery to only let a moment of concern flash across his face and only sternly said "Don't quit on me now!" while he wrestled Pete's shoulders loose.

5. A labor and delivery nurse who literally skipped into my room to inform me of my baby's weight--how he was the biggest they've had in a long time and how I was the talk of the hallway. And that my baby's head measured 15 inches. In my fatigued stupor, I told her, "I think you mean centimeters." "Nope," said she, "Fifteen inches." And she told me they all thought I needed some more fentanyl. I hoped she was as generous with my dose of narcotics. (It's only a week and a half later that I discovered head circumferences are indeed measured in inches. Who knew? Geometry, smeometry.)


6. My mom who showed up bearing chocolates--a custom box of only Milk Bordeauxs and Milk Butterchews (they're new, and they're spectacular!). Absolutely deserved.


7. This shade of pink. I'm thinking of redecorating my entire house in it. Or maybe at least my whole wardrobe.

8. Clear eyes. A drive home from the hospital without having to plan the trip to Sacramento and the first surgeries, and hoping and praying that we'd be able to save some degree of sight. And an all clear report from the pediatric ophthalmologist. We know we aren't out of the woods, since congenital glaucoma can present at any time in the first year, but we are keeping our fingers crossed and celebrating the good news. (Note the bruise from attempted forearm IV.)

9. A husband who arrived at the hospital without delay (after my urgent pleading to please get me away from the roommate from hell), carrying a Diet Pepsi, and having stopped to buy a new carseat since he rushed off without ours. He even remembered to get a gift receipt so we can return it.

10. This product. Big baby = big sucka. There were times in a sleep-deprived state that I actually believed I was nursing a vampire baby (Thank you, Stephenie Meyers). Upside, big sucka = big sleeper. Last night Pete slept nearly 6 hours straight. Yes, I do realize I've just cursed myself.

11. This magic snooze button. None of my other kids wanted anything to do with them. Pete loves his. I can see why it's so hard for some parents, I mean kids, to give them up.

12. Moments like these.

13. Little smiles. I swear it's not just gas. And even if it is, I don't care.

14 comments:

sara said...

Hooray for pictures!! He's SUCH a cutie, and looking SO grown-up for a 10-day-old! I guess that's because he's about the size my kids were at 4 months :) How nice that he's sleeping for you! It looks like you have lots of great helpers around the house. Fun, fun. And I love that shade of pink - you definitely need a little femininity around there :)

Kate said...

I love the pink too. And you look great!!! What a darling baby. He may be kinda big, but he still looks like a little tiny newborn. So cute. I love all of the pictures. And I'm so glad to hear about the clear eyes.

Kristin said...

Hooray for clear eyes!!!! He is so good looking. I hope he keep sleeping so well for you, and that you heal quickly. I love ya.

April said...

We were so happy to hear the news about his eyes! He is so cute and huge! Thanks for posting all the great pics! Boy does Dan look more and more like my dad every time I see pics of him!

Christie said...

He is so beautiful, I can't stand it! I want so smell that yummy neck. You are blessed, for sure.

Lauren in GA said...

You look FANTASTIC!!

He is so handsome and, whoa! What a head circumference! Seriously, BRAVO!

That is wonderful that his eyes are okay!!

rachel said...

I am so happy for you that his eyes are clear. What a blessing indeed!

I love that pink on you. What a beautiful motherly glow you have! So pretty.

Keep posting pics... I can't get enough of new babies!!

Valerie said...

Yeah, I'm so glad that you posted lots of pictures! And those are blessings indeed, epecially about the eyes :) I was thinking that Pete looked like Jake, but in the last picture, he looked a lot like Nate to me. He is so cute, Laurie, and you are looking marvelous darling! Enjoy the chocolates and sleep!

{d + l + p} said...

LAURIE!! he is so cute! looove him. thanks for new pics! keep 'em coming!

Erika said...

love this post Laurie - so glad he made it here okay and you made it home in tact (more or less) don't you just feel heroic? you rock

The Sampietro's said...

So CUTE!! HE is darling! Love his little polo romper. I hope youare feeling good. And, yes I will forever love pink.

whit said...

Great pictures, and great list! You do look beautiful in that pinkbby shirt. I'm not so sure about the whole house that color, though. The hubby might not like that.

Becca Brown said...

What precious pictures. You have a great looking group of boys! Hooray for big babies & good sleepers! My last one was 9 lbs. & she has been my best sleeper of them all.

Margaret said...

What a great post! And all after having a baby recently! You are amazing!