Jake's kindergarten program. Don't you dare call it a "graduation," because, as he will vehemently point out, he did not graduate since he had to go to school after the performance for the last week. (Is this a kid who has grown up on The Incredibles or what?) We were very sad to say goodbye to Mrs. Maples. (Isn't that the most perfect name for a kindergarten teacher? She's as sweet as it sounds.) I'll miss not seeing her everyday like I have for the last two years, but I won't miss driving to pick-up/drop-off a kindergartener every day.
Primary Quarterly Activity. The Primary kids performed service to earn money for newborn kits to donate to LDS Humanitarian Services. The Young Women sewed most of the receiving blankets and ward members donated goods, services, and money as well. We were able to make 12 newborn kits. The kids also made coupon books for their moms and enjoyed baby bottle bowling, relay races, and a diaper changing race (we didn't use real babies).
Douglas County Kids' Fishing Derby. Rumor has it, it's the biggest kids' fishing derby west of the Mississippi. They take a creek in the park and stock it with 3,000+ rainbow and cutthroat trout. It was cloudy and sprinkling, so it took longer than previous years, but all three boys caught their two-fish limit. Well, first Gabe caught a tree on the opposite bank. Dan went all Bobby Flay and barbequed up some "delicious trout" for us. Yum. Gabe said it tasted like chicken.
All day trip to Sacramento for Gabe's eye appointment. We got stuck behind an honest-to-goodness wagon train going up Echo Summit. I just kept thinking, "Man, I knew I should've left earlier." All clear on his eyes, and no appointment for him until December. Wahoo. We even made it back in time, barely, for the final Little League game. I love Little League. I really do. So much so that I'm planning on dedicating an entire post to Little League. Call me on it if I don't get around to it soon.
Surviving a monsoon season and the first week out of school. We live in the desert, so I always enjoy afternoon thunderclouds in the the summer. But we've had weeks of overcast skies and afternoon rain. It's starting to really mess up our picnic-in-the-park plans. And hopefully this week is easier than last week with everyone home together.
Post publish: The rain at our picnic tonight was attributed to "El Nino." I couldn't help but remember Chris Farley, and thanks to youtube I found the clip. Click here.

7 comments:
Look at all this fun boy stuff you get to do! I can't wait for little league. they're adorable!
OH how I miss your boys! Love you.
We did a daddy/daughter fishing activity for Activity Days. It was a free community event and they SUPPOSEDLY stocked the (man-made) lake with "thousands" of fish. There were hundreds of people there and I didn't even see one fish caught. Terribly disappointing. Glad your fishing experience was better!
Nice update! I love that Chris Farley clip.
Love the new photos! My daughter was excited to see McKenna on the computer. We'd love it if you guys joined us for Tahoe Tuesdays at Sand Harbor. Give me or Tricia a call for details. It's the best summer activity EVER. Also, I'm having a Girls' Night Out pizza and karaoke party on the 27th. If you'd like to come, give me a call.
The kids went to the fishing derby thing with their grandparents. They went in the afternoon and didn't catch a thing. =(
McKenna misses school. She keeps asking when it's time to go back. I did see Wesley's mom and James with his mom, all together, at Costco. Mrs. Maples was the best. How can you top her and kindergarten? I might just volunteer in her class next year, even though I don't have kid in her class.
I laughed at how Jake would not let you call it a, "Graduation". He brings up a good point...he did have to attend the week after the ceremony. I guess that could have been considered his Post-Graduate work.
I love that, "Future Reception Picture".
Those Newborn Kits are true things of beauty.
Post a Comment