Thursday, September 30, 2010

Testing . . . One, Two, Three

Testing . . . One, two, three. Is anybody out there? Does this thing even work anymore?

The short list of what I've been busy with:

1. FIVE. Um yeah. I had a baby in May. Ben sleeps really good through the night. I remind myself of this fact while he: 1) vomits repeatedly (darn that reflux!), 2) insists on being held while napping, and 3) pretty much insists on being held when awake. He's not my worst baby, but he's not my best either (Peter, I knew you were freakishly good!). But hey, Ben sleeps through the night, and has since about three weeks. (For real! And it's okay if you don't believe me--I've had those kind of babies too, and I wouldn't have believed me either.)

(Ben's first day home. I also need to take more pictures.)


2. Little League, FIVE boys at home all summer long, swimming lessons, vacation bible school, AYSO, doctors' appointments, piano. It's a good life, the life that's busy, right? I kept telling the boys we would do fun stuff in a couple more weeks--just until Ben was a little older. Next thing I knew, summer was over. Now we've added homework to the excitement.


3. LAUNDRY. Most recently, bedding--sheets, blankets, mattress pads. Every couple days. For those of you unfamiliar with boys, I'll let you in on a little secret. It's very common for boys to not stay dry overnight. Eventually they outgrow it. I hope. I really, really hope. In the meantime, we are walking drunken sailors to the bathroom every night around 10:00 and hoping for the best. And washing a lot of bedding.

4. 24. Holy crap, where has Jack Bauer been all my life? We signed up for streaming Netflix and watched three seasons this summer. During a "season," we watched multiple episodes every single night. We had to take a break--saving the world is so exhausting. Whew. Now I sorta wish I had special ops training. Had I seen this show before May, there's a very good chance numero cinco would have been named Jack (the Jake/Jack fact notwithstanding).

5. Diet Pepsi with vanilla syrup (sugar free!). This iced glass full of goodness is my favorite thing about the afternoon (or morning). Shhh! I'll let you in on something: this just might be the savior of my sanity.


More posts coming sooner . . . I need to write stuff down before I forget it.

11 comments:

Kate said...

Hip hip hooray for this post! I missed you. And I really really appreciate your advice on eyes. I'm certain I'll be seeking more as we learn more.
That's such a gorgeous picture of you.
And SO glad you discovered 24.

Lauren in GA said...

You look absolutely beautiful in that picture.

I hear you on the bed wetting. 2 out of 4 of mine are bed wetters. The oldest 2. It is a nightmare.

carrie @ the boonie life said...

I've been wondering how you've been. Glad to finally hear the updates and that you are surviving with 5! Holy cow. Gabe looks just like Dan in that picture by the pool.
And, yeah, I hear you on the bed wetting, too. Sheesh!

leigh said...

yay for posting! and i'm glad to hear you're surviving 5. I'm almost there.

and i hear you about the laundry. so much work! but i did read a book about nighttime dryness (on my goodreads) that i thought was great.

Kristin said...

Yeah!!! I've missed your posts. Keep them coming.

Jessica said...

Yay! I've been thinking about you! Come visit Kristin please, did you hear we are going to be best book club friends

whit said...

Good to hear that someone is sleeping through the night!! Wyatt was doing so well, and then...we moved. I like all the looks the boys are giving in the swimming pool picture. Miss you!

sara said...

Hooray for a new post!! It's so lovely to hear from you. And you do look great in that picture. Yes, I think Noah took longer than my girls did to stay dry at night. We started watching 24 a couple years late; the last two seasons we watched "live" on tv and I absolutely hated to have to wait an entire week between episodes!! A few months back we started watching LOST, and it's a one-or-two-episode-per-night habit for us now... that's the way to do tv! :)

AnnElise&Chris said...

I'm tired just reading this post... but selfishly glad you took the time to write it! Keep us updated and keep drinking your pepsi. We all know it is the only thing that kept (keeps. ha.) my mom sane!

Strollerblader said...

Hooray for a new post to entertain me!

OK, I've seen that picture of you before holding Ben, but it was much smaller on FB, and HOLY COW, that was your first day home?!?!?? You look absolutely gorgeous!!! How can you look like that right after having a baby?!???!

Bedwetters: Buy Goodnights (near the Pull-Ups). Unless they still fit in diapers, because diapers are cheaper. This is how we'll be doing it until our boys can make it dry through the night. Even when we used to wake up and take the older one to the bathroom before we went to bed, he'd still wake up wet. Goodnights have been great.

It was fun sitting with you and chatting last weekend!

Laurie said...

Jen, we're using the Goodnights and they are great. We're just hitting the stage where we're getting close to staying dry. So we try. And try again.