Monday: Take Gabe and Pete to pediatric ophthalmologist in Reno.
**Gabe does great. He's still coming down from his high last week at the pediatric glaucoma specialist's when he did his ENTIRE EXAM IN THE OFFICE. Which translated to: 1) one new, previously-used xbox game for Gabe, and 2) NO HOSPITAL EXAM UNDER ANESTHESIA for mom and dad to pay for and Gabe to fret over. (Nate, of course, still needs the EUA.)
Enjoy a meal of Wayland's famous ribs with my best friend's family. Lament that her trip up north is so short. Laugh hysterically. Vow to get together more often. And plot a scheme to convince Way to share his recipes.
TUESDAY: Attend Relief Society dinner; first such outing with Pete. Offend sister who is spewing an awful cough ("I've been on antibiotics since last night," gasps she), by moving my baby to other side of gym. Seriously, why do sick people think everyone else wants to share in their misery? And why do we feel bad for avoiding them? Bemoan to all within hearing distance about my sore, burning, cracked, and bleeding nipples caused by my voracious eater. My mom cracks, "It's a good thing it's October, since he's like a vampire!"
WEDNESDAY: "You know, they're WEIRD, but they're GOOD," says my friend Deann after hearing I'd called La Leche regarding my woeful nipple situation.
La Lache leader calls me back, listens to my symptoms, asks a few questions, then diagnoses: "I think you've got thrush."
"But," say I, "There's no white stuff in Pete's mouth."
"Because thrush presents in different ways, and sometimes there are no visible symptoms at all," says the LL leader. "Call your doctor for treatment."
Call doctor; rush to Reno. Available doctor proclaims: "Those are great looking nipples. You DO NOT have thrush. Use lanolin. Or a nipple shield."
Already used up 1 1/2 tubes of lanolin, so stop to buy a nipple shield. Nate breaks candle in hospital boutique. Bite lip to not curse. Offer to buy candle; offer refused. Proceed to buy new candle and Halloween decorations in addition to nipple shield out of guilt. At home, nipple shield is useless joke. Total cost of unproductive trip to Reno: $63, plus gas.
Devour information online regarding thrush. Convince self doctor is WRONG.
Afternoon. Pediatrician confirms it is thrush. Pete weighs in at 13 pounds, 11.5 ounces. "Hah!" say I, "He does not have a latch issue!"
Evening. Brave blustery fall evening to attend book signing for my friend from way back in junior high's new book: Freeze Frame. Here's a picture of me with my famous author friend, whom I dined with last week in my home. Very literary.
FRIDAY: Call OB doctor to gloat. Confirm he agrees with prescribed treatment. Sing praises to La Leche--they really ARE good.
Address birth announcements. Soooooo in love with boys' birth announcements. Plan future birth announcement post.

15 comments:
I noticed that you need to add Pete to your family column, but which cute little man picture do you choose? There is too many.
You are one busy woman! SO glad to hear about Pete's eyes. Great post!
Pete is such a cutie! I hope this week is a little slower for you.
Love those cute baby pics!
Yeah for La Leche coming to the rescue! And I love the pictures of your "little vampire." Pete is sooooo cute! And yay for healthy eyes! Sure love his litte filets too.
Wow they are GOOD! How did you manage to do all that in one week? Didn't you JUST have the baby? You amaze me!☺
Miss you already :( You're so funny about the drawer...whateva sista...lol Nate looks so chunky and cute. And you're right, the trip was way too short. I was sad driving home on Tues. Everyone was asleep and I was missing all our years together....It was so nice to just laugh and be with someone who knows me better than anyone. It was a great, quick trip. And the filet comment...way funny. It is an exact description. Say hi to the boys and tell Jake and Gabe Logan said Hi and he wishes he had bushes to run in at his grandpas. Then he said maybe Jake and Gabe could come swim in his grandpa's pool. So cute how kids think about things. :) it's definitely an idea though!!!
So when I had Jocy the nurse at the hospital gave me this medcine which turned out to be the miracle cure I used for sore breasts. I refuse to ever use anything else. It is called vigilon. It was a prescription but I have heard you can get it over the counter. It has a firm gel textures. YOu can cut it into squares and it is reusable for the entire day. It was my saving grace while nursing. I swear my kids would have been bottle fed if I hadn't found this!
Did they give you gentian violet? If not, go to your pharmacy and grab a bottle. Super cheap and it WORKS! Paint your nipples and baby's mouth with it... We had major thrush/yeast and it was SOOOOOO incredibly painful - to the point I seriously considered giving up breastfeeding. It was B.A.D.
Good luck!
You had me rolling in stitches laughing so hard! What a week you had. I can't believe how big your bubba is! How old is he? Mine is 3 1/2 months.
I love your description of your beautiful boy's cheeks being like little filets. Such a great description!
He is just gorgeous. He looks so, so YUMMY!!
Hey - Sara's friend Leigh here. But I think we should be friends too since we both have 4 boys.
About the nursing: I had the worst time with my 4th. You'd think after 3 others that went pretty well the 4th would be a piece of cake, but it was a terrible experience for 3 whole months and then I finally gave up! It was so bad I didnt' even feel guilty! Anyway, I hope you last longer than that.
ps - I love the name Pete. (and thanks for the comment!)
your life is soooo crazy right now. I didn't even hear a mention of how tired you are. The law school reunion was great... well our plane was late and we missed the entire thing. As we were running into the Wilk, we ran into Matt and Kori Dean (they were leaving) he said called Gary and Jena Pay (who also had just left) anyway, we went out with the Pays that night. Then the next night went to their house with the Deans. There were only 14 people at the reunion and they said it wasn't very fun. But, we had fun at our own parties.
Do you think your baby is a vampire b/c of all the Stephanie Meyer reading? hang in there!
So I guess this is turning into "the month at got away?"
Come on Laurie! Post some pictures already! (sorry, I still have the post-election grouchies)
(that, not at. Embarrassing.)
PS I meant to tell you that I loved your announcement, as I always do!!
Post a Comment