Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Home Again and a Rent-a-Cop Run-in

**We interrupt the ongoing travelogue to share some recent happenings.

Just over 15 years ago,

He was born in my parent's backyard.


After some schooling and chilling in the pastures in Idaho,

Yesterday he came home.


Welcome home Sundance.
We're glad you still remember us.


In the excitement of his arrival, I drove up to my folks' house to see him as soon as he got off the trailer. After a quick visit, I drove down to pick my big boys up from the bus stop. While waiting for the bus with my engine running, I perused the new Pottery Barn Kids catalog (is that cupcake costume yummy or what?). Suddenly there was a rap on my window.

I looked out to see a large man wearing a uniform. I rolled down my window.

"You need to move your car." He growled. "I like to park in front of my house."

"Okay," said I, "I'll move in just a couple minutes after the bus gets here." And I know for a fact he parks in his driveway.

"You need to move it, this is my house." Actually sir, the public road in front of your house isn't your property.

"Oh I will, just as soon as the bus gets here." I could tell he was livid that I wasn't immediately obeying him--what kind of little woman did I think I was?

Then he raised his voice a bit, "I can make one phone call and get this bus stop moved!"

I replied, "Oh I wish you would. I really think this stop is too far away from my house. I've tried to get it moved, but it's really hard to convince the school district to do that."

He then stepped closer to my car, "Move your car up the road," he ordered.

"No, I can't do that because then my car will be right where the bus stops and it's not safe for the kids to get out right there," I explained.

"Just up the road!" His voice was escalating again.

"But then I'm in front of the bus stop, and my kids won't see me when they get off." If you've seen 7 and 6 year-olds exit a bus, you'll know what I'm talking about--total tunnel vision.

"They'll see you," he growled. I rolled up my window.

By now the bus had rolled up. He walked over, in between all the kids running off the bus, and started yelling to the bus driver and waving his arms. I rolled the window down and heard him order her to stop the bus further down the road.

I waited for my kids to load in the car and then drove them up to meet my horse.

*
*
*

So here's the deal. I know this yokel's uniform isn't a cop uniform, because last year he also came up to my car and told me to move it. I told him I was just waiting for the bus, and I had to park there because it was the only place the sun wasn't shining in the baby's eyes. At first I thought he was a cop, but then I looked closer and realized it's a prison guard uniform.

Here's what really irritates me.

Number 1: That he's bullying me and hoping to intimidate me with his rent-a-cop uniform.

Number 2: That he's behaving like this in front of kids.

Number 3: That I am not going to stop picking my kids' up from the bus stop, and I don't think I should pick them up at school just to avoid this idiot, but I'm sure there are going to be more confrontations.

What should I do?

I called the bus barn to let them know about it. She laughed and said, "Did you tell him he's not parking there right now?" She also said there's nothing they can do, it just sounds like a guy with "little man syndrome." When I told her he was actually quite a large man, she said, in all seriousness, "If you feel threatened, you call the sheriff on him right away."

I'll be honest with you. As a woman, I always feel a little threatened when some strange man walks up to my car. Don't you? Doesn't your radar go off?

Should I file a police report? Call the principal?

Should I keep poking him in the eye, and park in front of his house every day for the next few weeks? If he comes up to the window, should I just wave him off? And then if he hits the window again, should I call the cops and say that a strange man wearing some sort of rent-a-cop uniform is beating on my car while I'm waiting at the bus stop for my kids with the babies inside, and I'm not sure if he has gun or not?

Should I buy pepper spray? A stun gun? Get my concealed weapons permit? Should I stop reading so many Stephanie Plum novels?

9 comments:

Kristin said...

I;m getting more fired up reading this and I've already heard the story. Park there for the next week with cell phone in hand and call the real cops on his rent a cop a**.

sara said...

Oh man! This wannabe picked the wrong attorney mom to mess with! Like you said, the street is *not* his property. What a hassle. But if anyone can handle it, it's you!

Danika said...

I say report it to the police and ask them to be present there during the pick up time. I bet a "real" cop presence will chill him out. If they won't do it or he continues his behavior I'd play the "I'm an attorney" card and/or call the police right while he's standing there ranting on you. That ought to scare the guy off! Good for you for holding your own and keeping your cool. Good luck - I can't wait to hear Part 2 of this story!

PS - I love Janet Evanovich Stephanie Plum novels too. I actually laugh out loud, they totally crack me up!

Ruthykins said...

i would definately play the attorney card if i were you. just like Danika said.

Carolee said...

Taser. I'd get a taser, definitely. By the way, you are my hero.

carrie @ the boonie life said...

What a DUDE! And not the cool kind. You should bust out the lawyer lingo and call him on his non-police uniform. Trying to be all intimidating and stuff in his little security outfit.
Let us know how it goes.
And, yay, welcome home Sundance!

Erika said...

you're the best... remember the lady at the Walmart bathroom you had to deal with too? I think you should tell the cops b/c now he really wants to punch you - so when he dents your car (or u run over him) they'll be a "paper trail" But, still park in front of his house - just to annoy him.

Lauren in GA said...

If it happens again I would call the police. You are parking there for very good reasons. You really can't move for all of the reasons you mentioned and you don't need a large, menacing man yelling at you in a threatening tone. I am not saying to call the police to be spiteful, even though his self-importance and sense of entitlement is annoying...I just think if he is volatile enough to be so agressive to you, who knows if he may get physical if he gets any angrier.

Did the bus driver drop the kids off in a different place after he yelled at her/him?

That is neat that Sundance came home. I bet the kids were thrilled.

Hillary said...

Wow, I would have totally done what he said. But you stood your ground. Way to go!! I would call the cops on him too. Way is it such a big deal anyway! I'm sure his ego was hurt when a woman wouldn't follow his every wish.