Ugh. I'm falling rapidly behind on the Best of 2009 Blog Challenge. Must be why it's called a challenge.
December 5. Best Night Out. Much Ado About Nothing at Sand Harbor. My husband watches Shakespeare with me and likes it. I love that man.
December 6. Best Conference. Special Stake Conference with Elder David Bednar. Out here in "the mission field," we don't get many visits from General Authorities, much less one of the Twelve. The last apostle to speak in our stake was some 18+ years ago. Elder Bednar was well worth the wait.
My favorite idea, among many: "Do not be weary with well-doing." I was feeling pretty weary at the time, with a new baby and a big responsibility calling. It was a good reminder that "well-doing" is always a good thing.
Another highlight of the conference was the fire alarm which necessitated evacuation and inspection by the fire department before Elder Bednar could speak. I swear my boys were all accounted for.
And thanks to Jake's persistance, we waited in line to shake Elder Bednar's hand. The boys were very mature as they exchanged solid handshakes, Dan said a few words, and I was speechless. But luckily I had Pete on my hip (then a mere 24 lbs of adorableness), and Elder Bednar said, "Oh he's a bruiser, isn't he?" Then he squeezed Pete and asked, "You want to play ball with me, don't you?"
(It's good I have this blog challenge so I can record these memories, since you all know how far behind I am on baby scrapbooks.)
December 7. Blog Find of the Year. Andelin Empire. Carrie was my first friend when we moved back here, originally because we had the only two kids in nursery and then because we had a lot of fun together. We lost touch when they sold (when the market was high, smart cookies) and moved to Idaho. I found her blog this year and reconnected. I love the photos of her life on the ranch, the one room schoolhouse her children attend, and the fun crafts she somehow finds time to do. I savor imagining a simple life away from everything and everybody, even though I know life on a ranch is hard work. What can I say, I'm a sucker for escapism.
Most Wonderful Time Of The Year
4 days ago

2 comments:
My sister-in-law told me about that conference with Elder Bednar (at least I think it was the same one...they live in Sparks, so probably). She told me about his analogy about balancing the spinning plates, or whatever it was, and having to keep spinning them. I love that analogy and think of it all the time now as I'm trying to balance everything in life. (I really hope that you know what I'm talking about...!)
And thanks a ton for the monstrous compliment!!
I think I would have been speechless in the presence of Elder Bednar, too.
I am behind on my scrapbooks, too. My husband calls me a collector, rather than a scrapbooker in reference to all of my scrapbooking gear and lack of finished pages.
Post a Comment