When Dan and I were newlyweds, we moved into a BYU married ward and met another couple, Jason and Robin. Jason and Dan had lived in the same dorm freshman year, and Robin and I clicked, so we became couple friends.
We'd get together for dinners (I always knew the food would be good when Robin was cooking!), and to watch BYU football or volleyball. Eventually, we each graduated and moved on from our first apartment complex, but we managed to follow each other around the country a bit.
When we lived in Sunnyvale, Jason and Robin were in San Francisco, so we got together for dinners (memorable time at a Thai restaurant where the servers teased Jason and Dan for being "girls" because they wanted "not spicy" dinners), cruises down Castro Street, and other events. They came down for Gabe's blessing and Jason stood in. We should have done more together because we always had the best times, but you know how busy schedules can be.
In August 2005, Jason and Robin came to visit us in Nevada. Jason had just started his dental practice in Sacramento. We had a wonderful visit, including getting to meet the darling Hailey. Robin and Jason thoroughly enjoyed our local legend "El Charros." It was great to catch up again, and we planned more visits in Sacramento.
At the end of August, Robin was diagnosed with acute myeloid leukemia. She updated her journey on her website, and as a result, she was able to share her brave fight and her wonderful spirit with many people. Last Friday, Robin lost her battle.
As we've been checking her website daily for funeral arrangement information, tonight I saw this link: Last Mementos of Cancer Victim Stolen from Family Car.
I'm speechless.
Pigs And Dogs
2 days ago

11 comments:
I am so sorry for your loss Laurie. What a beautiful smile Robyn had and an obvious zest for life. I too am speechless. I can't believe that could actually happen after all they've been through. Our thoughts and prayers are with her husband and daughter and you. It's hard to lose a friend....be strong.
Beck
I'm so sad about this. I've been totally following Robin's website forever, crying and rejoicing with the news along the way. I didn't know her, but I knew Jason back in the day. Anyway, I can't believe this.
Laurie, I am so sorry for your loss. She seems like such a wonderful person. I hope they find one more miracle, and her belongings are returned.
My thoughts and prayers are with their family.
I just read through much of her website and I am in tears. It really makes one step back and reevaluate what we have and what we take for granted.
I can't imagine what her husband and daughter and family and friends (you) are going through. My heart is broken and I didn't even know that beautiful face.
Thanks for sharing this, Laurie. And shame on whoeve stole her things. Horrible...
I am so sorry. Truly, I am.
I am going to go to the links.
I really am sorry. There really are no words.
That's really sad. So sorry to hear of the loss of your friend.
I just can't believed those items were stolen from the car. I am so sorry.
Totally bawling. I'd been having a BAD day and this was just a really good reminder about all I have to be thankful for. I'm going to pray my guts out that they get a miracle...heaven knows, they deserve it.
Oh my. Speechless is just the word.
I'm so sorry about all this, Laurie. Sorry about the loss of your friend, sorry for the tremendous loss Robin is to her little family, and sorry that those freakin' thugs stole her things. That is just disgusting, it makes me sick. On a brighter note, thank you for including Robin's site so we all could appreciate the beautiful person she was. That's wonderful that you could share in her friendship. I'm just crying right now, that last slide show about did me in. This whole thing definitely puts things into perspective and makes me want to hold my husband and little boys a little longer and tighter.
Can't stop thinking about the whole situation...heartbreaking. I hope your travels were safe and that you were comforted during the funeral. You were blessed to know Robin and I know she cherished your friendship.
Post a Comment