Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Houston, We Have a Problem


We failed. And failed big time.

The school district sent home a "Fire Safety Survey." And some cheap plastic hats that have completely entranced my boys. Apparently, the boys have recently undergone fire safety training. We quizzed them on what they learned.

Stop, drop, and roll. Check.

Feel door with hand. Check.

Crawl if there is smoke. Check.

Meeting place. Check.

Dial 911 from a neighbor's house. Check.

Only one itty, bitty little problem.

Our boys DO NOT WAKE UP, or even move, after more than THREE MINUTES of the smoke alarm going off continuously. . . in their bedroom.


What do you have to say about that Smokey?

10 comments:

sara said...

I have worried about that exact same thing...

Danika said...

I blogged about this back in February...

http://danikapark.blogspot.com/2008/02/we-definitely-need-to-try-this-with-our.html

...but I still have yet to try it with my own kids. Thanks for the reminder!

Laurie said...

Cool clip with the voice alarm Danika. But I'm concerned because we even called the boys' names while the alarm was going off after 2 minutes.

Maybe if we'd started yelling their names right away and telling them to wake up too?

Sounds like we have another drill to try.

Oh yeah, and we'd told them all about the drill at dinner that night.

Kristin said...

At least your kids are on the same floor as you, I worry that I won't be able to make it down to get them if we really had a fire.

Lauren in GA said...

The same exact thing happened to us!!!!!! I am not even kidding!! It happened a couple of years ago when they had fire safety month. It panicks me!

rachel said...

Yes, Houston. They do have a problem!

Ours went off a few weeks ago and it didn't stir the baby or Morgan. Hmmm....

Margaret said...

That is scary. Thanks for the reminder.

danrdavis said...

Sorry this is a little off the subject, but I understand you were looking for this. If you visit the below link, you can go and print off copies of Conference Packets for the boys to color while watching General Conference: http://www.inbutnotoftheworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/fall2008conferencepacket.pdf.
I'll email it to you as well.

Valerie said...

We'll have to do some fire drills too :) Since we're seasoned fire fighters and all, we'll have to perfect our fire drills at home now. Hope the boys wake up next time. Oh, and I loved your whole Sarah Palin soapbox. It was great!

Heather Humphreys said...

that cracks me up about your boys sleeping through the smoke alarm. Mine would do the same. And truthfully, I would be soundly sleeping right along side them. Luckily, we have Will to rely on to carry us all to safety. :) Your baby boy is so adorable by the way!!! Congrats!

Oh, our blog address changed to http://web.me.com/willhumphreys