Tuesday, November 27, 2007

All The Way

Some of you may have read the news article online a couple days ago about a woman who aborted her baby because she was an environmentalist. Here's the link:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,312779,00.html

Apparently, these women believe that having children "pollutes the planet." As one of them stated: "Every person who is born uses more food, more water, more land, more fossil fuels, more trees and produces more rubbish, more pollution, more greenhouse gases, and adds to the problem of over-population."

My first thought when I read this was "Good luck explaining that one to the Big Guy." But as I considered their position, I became more and more disturbed. What really bothers me it that there are some people out there who likely commend these women for their extreme commitment to their beliefs. These people are probably proud that these women have the courage to do more than just talk the talk.

I disagree.

There is nothing courageous about their decision. In fact, their actions are decidedly half-ass. I mean really, if you truly believe every additional person on earth merely pollutes the planet, why stop with birth control and abortion? Why not go to the source--take it all the way. Seriously. What better way to reduce your carbon footprint than to reduce yourself. Why not? You're just sitting around wasting valuable oxygen with every breath you take. Every additional day you are on the planet, you use more food, more water, more land, more fossil fuels (even if you don't fly airplanes, I'm guessing you still benefit is some manner from the global economy--ever ship anything FedEx?).

So, go ahead, get really committed. Stop donating money to earthquake, hurricane, tsunami, tornado, etc. relief and start throwing parties celebrating Mother Earth's efforts to shake off the excess pollutants. Oh wait, no parties, too much that can't be recycled. Again, let's get back to the source. The ultimate in recycling. Start getting those who are truly devout together for a compost making party.

But then, I guess people might think you were crazy.

5 comments:

sara said...

I read that yesterday too. You're right - anytime "those people" start trying to make a logical case for their arguments, it doesn't take long to unravel it. Of course, I never think of the ways to unravel it so I try to have lots of really smart friends like you! :)

Erika said...

wow - you said it girlfriend. The problem is people just don't value children. If they did, there would be a lot less heartache in the world.

Kristin said...

I love being your sister and knowing you. You rock, and I sending all my friends to read your post. I love you.

Jessica said...

Great post. Well written and disturbing. How misguided can you be? Notice she does not suggest not procreating as a form of not populating.

Valerie said...

I love you, Laurie! Thanks for putting the things we all wish we could say in such a mind provoking, eloquent way.