DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT A SINGER.
I know this because I play piano, so I know what notes should sound like. I just cannot make my voice do that.
Proof: I called my husband upon leaving the grocery store so he could turn on the oven for dinner. He was expecting my call. Trying to be cute, after his "Hello," I launched into Bon Jovi's "Honey. . . I'm coming home."
He didn't get it. In fact, he thought I'd been in an accident and was crying something about not being able to get home.
Obviously, I had some pitch problems, it wasn't the right song choice, and I didn't own it. But seriously, I have no idol delusions.
*
*
*
*
*
NOTWITHSTANDING that fact, I will joyfully sing along with the radio, in church (primary kids can't really tell and at least I know the words), and to my children. Those little boys think I sing the best lullabies in the world. Just as it should be.
Here's our top five lullabies of choice:
1. Teach Me to Walk in the Light/I Am a Child of God. This combo is still the number one request. The Pavlovian response of Gabe and Jake to nod and roll their eyes as soon as either of these songs begins has waned.
2. There Once Was an Indian Maid. My mom sang this to me. I don't know it's origin. I just know Jacob loves it.
3. The Hand Song. Most of you will recognize this song. Because it is based on this one:
Staring into my babies eyes, I started singing this. I changed the words to what I could remember and what worked for me. This is my version, repeated 5 times.
"Close you eyes, give me your hand,
Darling, do you feel my heart beating?
Do you understand? Do you feel it too?
How much I love you?
How much I love you?"
Darling, do you feel my heart beating?
Do you understand? Do you feel it too?
How much I love you?
How much I love you?"
4. Lullaby. This is Dan's song to the boys. He got it from these guys:
5. Jingle Bells, Batman Smells. Honestly, that was the top song for the month of December. At least they went to sleep with a smile.






10 comments:
I run through as many Church songs I can think of. Than we sing A Happy family song, and add all of the family members on each side. If that doesn't work to calm them down, I sing the wheels on the buss adding all of the family members to it.
I have to say, I love the Jingle Bells, Batman smells because my youngest loved it because he adores Batman.
I think the first story of your husband thinking you were crying instead of singing was pretty funny! Not that I am making fun of you, though....
Husband laughing out loud due to hilarious BonJovi mistake.
I sing "Sleep Tight, Sandman's a-coming..." and then "I will" (see my This Is Your Song post for further clarification) every night to Seth.
Love that list! My sisters and I have all sung "Hush little baby" to our kids at one time or another, but the funny thing is my mom says we sing it with a different tune than the way she sang it to us. It's quite a mystery.
Also - You Are My Sunshine has always been a fave, particularly when they're babies, although it always made me cry! Please don't take my Sunshine away?? What an awful thing to think as you're cradling your newborn!
LAURIE!!! What a small world, I tell ya... Crazy stuff.
How are you?
I'm so glad you said hi. Tell your sisters hello from me. I see Kristin's comment above so I'm going to go take a look at her blog.
Hope you're doing great. Your kids are darling!
Keep in touch...
rachel
I pretty much sing the same songs to Owen and Will as you do to your boys. Sometimes I sing "Adel Weis" (sp?) from Sound of Music or "Baby Mine" from Dumbo, or "A Dream is a Wish your Heart Makes" from Cinderella. That's Owen's fav. part of going to bed. He always ask for more songs.
Oh I meant to say also, that Bon Jovi story is hilarious!!
I'm still laughing at Dan thinking you were in a car accident. Im moe of a hummer myself... I hum the classics to my baby. The others are always like.. mom, stop singing - that's not how the song goes.
Tyson's number one request is Billy Joel's Lullaby. Sam's is Bushel and a Peck (an old old oldie that our mom sang to us). After that we almost always sing a silly family song that I made up (to the tune of This Land is Your Land). And there's always I Am a Child of God. The only one I ever hear Quinten sing to the kids is Give Said the Little Stream, and he doesn't get the words right. :)
I too love the Bon Jovi story.
Laurie!
WOW! Blogs really do make the world smaller. I've seen your picture over on Jessica Rommey's blog a few times. And didn't put together that you were "Steve's sister Laurie!" HI!!!! So glad you stopped by my blog to say hi!
I love this post you did. I'm inspired to share the three songs I sing with Bennett now....well, one of these days.
Where did you get all those kids? So cute! It's been too long.
Oh and I found Jessica's blog through my friend Ilene who used to live in Eugene. Jessica was also one of the luminous "Tracy girls" that were talked about when I was going to Tri-Stake dances in California. The boys I hung out with always talked about the "Tracy Girls" in hushed reverent tones. It's so fun to connect the dots. And now I see your sister's blog so I'll have to go say hi to her too!
Post a Comment