Sunday, February 10, 2008

When We Need Extra Money, We Do This . . .

First, get yourself a great dog. Ours is a registered Labrador Retriever from Minnesota. (Granted, we would have gotten her even without tackling this adventure. We LOVE dogs.)

Goodgolly Miss Molly Lu Lu.

Her daddy was a Master Hunter, and her mama's daddy "Brock" was an English Labrador who was also a Master Hunter and one of the founding dogs of this kennel . But that's only half of it (because my husband doesn't hunt?). Molly is also sweetheart who loves kids and has a great disposition.

So, before anyone starts going off on "backyard breeders," let me assure you:

1. There was no breeding going on in our backyard. Molly spent a romantic week in Northern California with this stud.

2. Molly underwent a battery of tests before becoming pregnant, including an eye exam (CERF certified) and hip x-rays (OFA certified). How many mamas can boast that?

3. I consulted with two veterinarians (granted, one was a ward member) throughout this entire adventure. And read the book "Canine Reproduction" (I'm a serious reader, so basically I was an expert by the time I finished).


After Molly's getaway, she was the same great dog, except she ate quite a bit more. And Gabe was disappointed when we picked her up that he couldn't hold the puppies on his lap for the drive home. Patience son, patience.

So we waited. And Dan built this:


We kicked Nate out of his bedroom, so Molly could get used to her new room (it has to be quite warm and secluded). Then we waited. Molly ate and grew.


As the date drew near, Dan and I had a couple sleepless nights. Imagine us, who religiously believe is letting babies (of a certain age) cry it out, getting up to check on a dog. Multiple times.

When the puppies finally arrived, we had a very happy mama and some very happy kids.



Warning: If you embark on this adventure, prepare yourself for serious cuteness overload.

All nine puppies fit in this basket! Then they ate and grew.

And ate and grew.

And ate some more. I started thinking I shouldn't complain about breastfeeding, since Molly had to feed nine. But then, she only had to do it for six weeks. And really, I don't mind breastfeeding at all, I just wish my boobs were somewhat normal in size. Too much information, I'm sure. But, Molly probably felt the same way! They kept eating.

Soon we started feeding them.

And they started playing more.

Is this little boy heaven or what?




Despite all the cuteness, we were happy to find a good home for each puppy. Some went to California, some to Nevada, and one to Texas. We even found a good home for this one.

Because you know, you just can't sell all of them!

(I do this in Dan's arms too!)

Here are the totals:

Profits slightly higher than expenses (shots and advertising and dog food, dog food, dog food).

Time commitment acceptable with toddlers (but never try this with a newborn!). Do arrange a puppy sitter to let them out when they start hopping to piddle outside. Thanks Sara!

Total experience: Completely, utterly priceless!

We are looking forward to another round this spring/summer. SO. . . if you know anyone looking for a great dog, we're the ones to contact!

9 comments:

Kristin said...

Dan really does love that dog, so cute.

Anonymous said...

wow... BRAVE WOMAN! HAPPY KIDDIES!

Lauren in GA said...

Those puppies are adorable!!!!!!!

So, I hope you don't get mad at me but..."TAG!" I want to hear 7 things about you!!!!!!!!

are you mad?


Laurie?


are you?

Ya know what, I don't care!!!! TAG!

Lauren in GA said...

Oh, phooey...I just learned that Kristin did a 7 things tag and she was tagged by you so...I guess you have already done one? I am going to go look for it, but don't feel shy about doing another one, okay?...unless you don't want to...

Lauren in GA said...

Whoa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just read your 7 things!!!! An animal midwife?!!! Law school?!!!! So, so cool!

sara said...

Man, you're right about cuteness overload!!

Jessica said...

That was so fun to read about.

After that Leadership Training on Saturday, I'm inspired to have a litter myself!

Valerie said...

I love the pictures of all the puppies, and it really is a little boy's paradise to be surrounded by them. I can't wait to have a little puppy join our family. Cute pictures!

Kate said...

Love love love the play by play. Of course Sara forwarded us the pictures every time you sent them after the puppies were born. So I sort of knew the story... but not all of these details. I love it. We may be in the market for a new dog in a couple of years. Trigger, our golden, is almost 8!